Sunday, February 26, 2006

Ode to a newly defunct Canadian Institution

I'm so upset!

(actually - I was so upset yesterday but didn't get time to write about it until now. I'll try to harness yesterday's emotion...)

With my trusty 40% off coupon in hand I stopped by my friendly neighbourhood Lewiscraft trying to find yarn to make the skull & crossbones sweater featured in knit.1 for my boyfriend and I found out that they're closing. Not only is that location closing...but ALL Lewiscraft stores are closing

I almost had tears well up when I saw the signs.

I love(d) Lewiscraft. Their yarn selection was decent...good all around basics with some specialty yarns. And definitely my favourite place to buy supplies. Their prices were great and their promotions! wow - perfect for a bargain-finder like me. The only possible positive to this is that I may be able to stock up on needles when(if) they go to half price...if any are left.

I knew that they had filed for bankruptcy protection earlier this year but the employees in the Carlingwood location seemed pretty confident that they would stay open because they were one of the bigger stores and were fairly busy. Apparently Bentley Leather bought them out and is liquidating everything. What a luggage shop would want with a craft store I don't know.

It's so sad to see another Canadian company go under. Big-box-with-everything-under-the-sun-stores win again and we lose yet another specialty shop where people are actually familiar with the products they sell. Thank goodness for the local independant yarn shops still in Ottawa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

National Capital Knitters
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next