Wednesday, May 14, 2008

a flurry of finishing!

After a period of starting project after project after project, I seem to be in a phase of finishing. I even finished my biggest source of shame!

Check out the gallery:

Mason Dixon Potholder Loop RugAnother one of those projects just to see how it works. I happened to *finally* see some cotton potholder loops available at a craft store and bought two 10 oz bags. I took them home & looped them together [very zen-like] & rolled the ball. A couple weeks later I went back and bought three more bags & looped them. My 'ball of yarn' ended up the size of a basketball!

(here's the full ball with an 8-year-old for scale)


I used 25mm needles rather than the 35mm needles called for only because that's what I had on hand. It worked fine. This is the first project I've used such large needles and it requires totally different muscles for knitting this way - instead of the fine muscles in the hands & wrists, you're using your biceps & shoulders! I actually broke a sweat doing this. Definitely a fast project - very satisfying.

Sunflower Scrubber
Quick, quick pattern I found on Ravelry & decided to do for Mother's Day. I used my new favourite cotton - Bernat Handicrafter Cotton Stripes & a scrubbie from the dollar store. I love how fast it went, and I definitely plan to make more. Mom refuses to use it to scrub pots though, she thinks it's too pretty and figures the plastic bit will wear out long before the cotton & what would she do with the crochet cotton donut?

Tie Tank Finally!
My 'first' piece of clothing I knit starting over two years ago. I finished knitting within a few months, assembled it & promptly decided it was too frumpy, and I wasn't happy with the strap joins. I set it aside, and left it aside, and left it aside, and left it, and finally tried it on last weekend & decided to finish it up. All it needed was the ends to be sewn in. I did a crochet edging along the neckline and arms as well to make it that much neater. I'm not sure if it was just time that softened my opinion on it or if I, myself, got frumpier & fit it better! Seriously though, I really think finishing it properly and blocking it did the trick. So now I have a two-year old, new top!

Y'know what? There's more finished objects to come, just waiting for photos. It's almost time to start something again!

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I've commented on most of this, but awesome! The loop rug is cool, the crochet always amazes me, and finishing an UGH is inspiring.

Hope to see you on the 20th!~

8:46 AM  
Blogger Elaine said...

Well done on all the finishing!!

I love the golden yellow vest top - I think it really suits you!

I think a blingy brooch would make it look lovely for evening wear, and just as it is for day wear - so versatile!

5:13 AM  
Blogger Twiss And Weber said...

That's quite the ball'o'yarn! How long did it take to knit?

And your tank, you finally finished it! You look very pretty in it.

tootles,

L

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

National Capital Knitters
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next